Kurt’s older sister
- Anna was born in 1910.
- She was old enough to remember her dad going off to war.
- She was also old enough to remember food rations and going hungry, especially in the winter.
- She remembers when Kurt got sick in 1918 and she and her mother were afraid that he would die.
- She knew Oskar since she was young but didn’t like him initially.
- She was especially upset with Oskar when he joined the “brown shirts” in 1926.
- By 1928 she worked as a waitress in a nightclub in Berlin
- After the crash of economic crash of 1929 she supplemented her income to support the family (and her dear Kurt) by becoming a prostitute.
- She was eventually won over by Oskar because his position in the SA has given her protection from the authorities because of prostitution. And his kind persistent nature wins her over after the 1929 crash (which he “predicted”)
- Eventually stops being a prostitute at Oskar’s insistence because it threatens his rising status in the SA and he’s able to provide her with financial support.
- She idolizes her dad, but isn’t too close to her mother. She always felt that her mother judged her harshly. She also feels that her mother doesn’t love Kurt nearly enough, so she spoils her baby brother any chance she has.
- She has a warm, easy nature in contrast with her mother who is quiet, aloof and distant.
- She is politically agnostic. Politics are not “her thing”