Kurt’s neighborhood friend
- Hans is Kurt’s best friend.
- Hans was born in 1915 too, just a few months before Kurt.
- Hans did well in school because he is naturally bright, but he doesn’t like to study. He prefers working with his hands
- Hans lost his father in the great war too, also in France in 1917.
- Hans joins the Army on the same day as Kurt. They both apply for Panzer School and are accepted for training.
- Hans has a quick wit and great sense of humor. Where Kurt is typically quiet or reserved with his feeling, Hans is the boisterous and rowdy one. Quick with a joke and a cutting one-liner, he is well liked by the neighborhood boys.
- He also keeps a lookout for Kurt and protects him like an older brother would for his younger brother.
- Hans will not back down from a fight. When jokes won’t work to diffuse a situation he will resort of fists if necessary.
- Hans had a boyhood crush on Kurt’s older sister Anna and was devastated by her passing in 1934. He will often say that a part of him died when she took her own life.