Vincent’s eventual sister-in-law
- Struggles in her marriage with Theo, money troubles, living life in Paris. Wants to enjoy the finer things.
- Doesn’t understand her husband’s connection with Vincent.
- Appreciates Vincent’s art, even though she is a bit troubled being in his presence, re: his personal intensity.
- Once their child is born feels the strain even more, wants her husband to make more money to provide a better life for her and their child.
- Knows that Theo suffers with syphilis, worries for his health and what will happen to her and their child.
- Somewhat resentful of Vincent’s “issues” – including the aftermath of the “ear cutting” incident and stay at Saint-Remy.
- After Vincent’s death retains the paintings that fill her apartment.
- Translates the letters between Vincent and Theo. Promotes Vincent’s work. Did she do this because she saw the value of his art? Or did she do this to survive, i.e. Vincent’s legacy as the path for financial well-being? You decide.