- Theo was the younger of the two of them, but really assumed the role of the “older” brother caring for Vincent.
- Felt the strain of mediating between Vincent and the family.
- Intimately felt the strain financially of taking care of Vincent and working in Paris as an art dealer. The strain also involved bringing Vincent to Paris and doing his best to introduce him around.
- Encouraged Vincent to become a painter in the beginning. Later feels the financial strain of caring for Vincent and his young family.
- Worried about safeguarding Vincent’s reputation, especially after the “ear cutting” incident. Was concerned that the event would impact how Vincent’s work was viewed by the art community and would impact the ability to sell his paintings.
- Strain w/ his wife, re: saving the letters from Vincent. And of course, money.
- Had a strained relationship with his bosses, re: his pay and the need to care for his family and care for Vincent.
- Bought Gauguin’s paintings as well. Provided some financial assistance to Gauguin. In a way was ahead of the curve, re: the cutting edge of artistic expression and where art and taste were headed.
- Medical issues, re: syphilis.